Janet's Reviews > Infinity in the Palm of Her Hand: A Novel of Adam and Eve

Infinity in the Palm of Her Hand by Gioconda Belli

Jul 08, 11

Read from July 05 to 08, 2011

So far, an audacious project--a poetic reimagining of the unfolding of consciousness in Eve and Adam. A sensual prose exactly right for the newness of beauty and terror.
What a splendid book. I started with four stars for the sheer imaginative challenge the book undertakes, to retell the story of Genesis, from Adam and Eve's--and increasingly, Eve's--perspective. But halfway through, when I saw what Belli was doing with the story and the characters, I upgraded to five. Such a compelling book--so deeply and insightfully imagined--how would the events in the story look and feel to those inhabiting them? What is the ultimate point of creation and expulsion? I thought about this book when I was not reading it. I'm still feeling the reverberations as it ended. It's a short book, quickly read, but resonant. One inhabits this sensual prose, one feels the wonder and terror of these first, vulnerable lives. I'll be living with this one for a while.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Infinity in the Palm of Her Hand.