Sab H. (YA Bliss)'s Reviews > Dairy Queen

Dairy Queen by Catherine Gilbert Murdock

Aug 18, 12

bookshelves: audiobooks, audiobook-2011, realistic-fiction
Read from October 11 to 16, 2011

I finally got around to finishing the Dairy Queen series! Since I haven't posted about any of the books, I'll tell you about all three. D.J. Schwenk is hands-down one of the most awesome and refreshing voices in ya lit. Her voice does not waver from one book to the next, even though her growth process and maturity are happening vividly. She is the sole reason you should read these books, because she's one of the most unique characters you'll ever encounter.

While many issues are involved, this is a series that revolves around family and self a lot more than it revolves around romance or friendship. I really loved that about this because it differs from other books and it obviously fits perfectly with the setting. And man, I wish I had D.J.'s family. They grew through the books as much as D.J. did, and for that I applaud Gilbert, because many YA books tend to forget that parents are more than just there or screw-ups, they're people who need and experience growth and who often make as many mistakes as kids do. Adults are just teenagers with responsibilities, which makes it that much harder, in my opinion.

Anyhow, the family portrayal was one of the strongest I've read as well. And then there's the boys. I wish there had been more Bill and especially more Curtis in the sequels. But, I failed to fall for Brian, because I was too busy drooling over Win. Thus my favorite book of the three was book 2, The Off Season. Win's story completely won me over, and the last two paragraphs of the last book (Front and Center) scrunched up my heart so tight that I cried happy tears, and I must admit, that was a first for me. Happy tears? In books? Never before.

An absolutely amazing series, equally good on print as on audiobook, that I would not hesitate to recommend to everyone. I wish there would be more D.J. in the future. I would read 20 books about her without blinking.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dairy Queen.

10/12/2011 page 60