Ryan Loveless's Reviews > Notturno

Notturno by Z.A. Maxfield

4322028
Jul 06, 11

Recommended for: people who enjoy a good suspenseful mystery and Stoker-esque vampires.
Read from July 05 to 06, 2011

5 stars with reservations. The story involving a centuries-old manuscript that pits a collector in the middle of a 500 year old war between vampire rivals is a page-turner. The author's vampires are evolved from Stoker stock, which is how I like them. The characters are all great--likeable, amusing, and believable (given the situation), there are plenty of twists, and, as an archivist, I have a healthy appreciation for the main character using proper handling of the rare items he encounters. :)

My reservations came in the romance, which felt dragged out in the pages following the mystery's conclusion, although it fit quite well into that plotline. I understand that 500 years of loving someone makes it difficult to love another, especially in human/vamp situations (understand being a very loose concept here), but I felt like the same conversation was repeated about 10 times with neither character getting anywhere, and that slowed the book down for me, especially as it occurred after the other storyline had wrapped up. I liked that Donte the vampire was aware of the effect he could have on Adin, but Adin's persistent refusal to take Donte seriously concerned me as much as it did the vampire. Even when he took him seriously as a vampire who could eat him, he seemed to not take Donte's feelings about what entering into another love would mean to him, and was more interested in mocking Donte's reputation as a master vamp than talking about it. Of course love prevails in the end, but it left me feeling unsatisfied, especially in light of how well the other plot had wrapped up.

Other readers will have different views on the romance. It wasn't the reason I read the book, so I didn't let it affect my rating.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Notturno.