Margaret's Reviews > Bright's Passage

Jul 09, 11

liked it
bookshelves: fiction
Read in July, 2011 — I own a copy

I will say this, coming at the novel as a fan of Josh Ritter's songwriting put me in a bit of an awkward place because at the beginning I was looking for that same lyricism within the novel that I find in his songs. So, I had to take a step back from the novel there and hit the reset button. All in all, I will say that I really enjoyed the book. He definitely knows how to tell an engaging story. And his style-- shorter chapters-- feels familiar to me as I write in the same way, so I felt at home in his writing in that way. He does have a lyricism to his noveling, it's just different from his songwriting and as I said before, once I was able to make that distinction, the book found it's own place in my mind.

It does feel like a "first novel" in that there are passages that are a bit stiff-- that feel a bit "creative writing class" and don't quite breathe like they could. Then again, this being a first novel, some of that is to be expected. I think the parts that tripped me up in that way the most were the more descriptive sections-- certain sentences were almost overflowing with adjectives which always pulls me a bit out of the story. But all in all, I felt that he set his scenes really well and I could definitely see what he was trying to convey.

All in all, I enjoyed the story laid out here. It was a quick read, but there was substance to it. There were questions that I wanted answered and I found myself quite surprised by some of the answers I got. There was also more of a supernatural element to it than I'd expected on reading the dust jacket, which ended up being a nice surprise.

I would recommend that others take the time to read this novel. I think there's definitely a place for Josh Ritter's storytelling in the reading world and I look forward to hopefully seeing more from him and seeing how he grows as an author just as he's grown as a songwriter.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bright's Passage.

Audrey You finished? You gonna write an actual review? I'd love to read it.