Cait's Reviews > Stork

Stork by Wendy Delsol

Jul 22, 11

bookshelves: books-i-own, young-adult, reviews
Read from July 05 to 15, 2011

STORK had me hooked from page one! First thing I thought when I turned the last page? “That’s it?” I was so involved with the characters and the plot that I would have happily read another couple hundred pages!

In Stork, Kat suddenly finds herself drawn into a world of Icelandic mythology – mythology that is apparently very real, and she is a Stork meant to help deliver souls to the right mother in order to be born. While I found this mythology and concept incredibly interesting, for me the interest in the story was the characters. Katla and her mother had recently moved from California following Kat’s mother and father divorcing, and from the beginning Kat realizes there is a lot more going on in this small town she know lives in then she could have imagined.

Kat is so nicely developed. Her likes, dislikes, quirks and habits, and her strong personality just shine through Wendy Delsol’s captivating writing. Kat’s tough; she rolls with the punches and while she may think you’re crazy, it doesn’t mean she won’t go along with you. And Jack! I adore him. So broody and annoying at times with his refusal to explain things, yet so devoted, sweet and just that nice bit of mysterious thrown in for good measure.

In addition to the great characterization, it’s the mystery in Stork that helps drive the story. And there is so much mystery! What is a Stork? Why is Katla one? Who’s out to get her? Who, or what, is Jack? Though the characters and the mystery of Jack and who’s out to kill Katla kept me invested, I would have liked a bit more emphasis on the Stork aspect of the book. It felt like it was kind of second hand to everything else that was going on. But, it kind of all worked out in an intense holy-crap type ending that I did not really see coming, and yet did? If that makes sense. Wendy’s writing kept up a nice pass throughout the book, and really made everything come alive. I was right there with Kat as she figured out her way through this crazy new life she’s living (and I feel her pain on the cold! I hate being cold).

Anyway, STORK is wonderful and full of so much good-feeling inducing stuff that I am so excited for the sequel! I highly recommend this one.

Originally posted: Escape Through the Pages
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stork.