Cheryl's Reviews > The Talk-Funny Girl

The Talk-Funny Girl by Roland Merullo

Jul 05, 11

Marjorie Richards lived a sheltered life. She did not know much about the world other than school, home and her parents. This has something to do with the fact that young girls have been kidnapped around where Marjorie lives. Marjorie does not mind living a sheltered life. In fact her and her parents have created their own language. It is kind of like their own form of pig Latin. The way Marjorie talks you would like she lived in the back woods. The other kids do not get Marjorie and have nick named her “The Talk Funny Girl”.

Marjorie’s life changes when she meets Arturo Sanderson “Sands”. Sands is building a church in the middle of town. Upon Marjorie’s Aunt’s suggestion, Marjorie applies for a job helping Sands. She and Sands become close friends. Soon Marjorie starts getting a different view on the world and looks forward to her time with Sands.

I thought this was a good coming of age book. I must admit that at first I did not know how long I could stick with this book. It was the way that Marjorie talked. I wanted to grammatically correct her every time that she spoke. Once I got pass the way Marjorie talked, I found myself enjoying this book. Sands and Marjorie were the stars of this book. They both shined. It was nice getting to see Marjorie open up and grow. This book is not upbeat and light but more serious. This preferred this from a coming of age book. The Talk Funny Girl can talk funny all she wants as she is talking her way to the bank. This book is a perfect summer read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Talk-Funny Girl.