Ashelynn's Reviews > Everything You Need to Survive the Apocalypse

Everything You Need to Survive the Apocalypse by Lucas Klauss

Jan 03, 12

bookshelves: recommend
Read from December 29 to 30, 2011

This review also appears on Gypsy Book Reviews.

Everything You Need to Survive the Apocalypse is hilarious. Sweet. Religious (don't reel back in horror. I touch base on this later in the review). Romantic. Friendship.

And it was awesome.

So, I didn’t know what to expect when I picked up Apocalypse. For starters, I knew it was a contemporary… and the title was Everything You Need to Survive the Apocalypse? Whaaat? But here’s the deal guys: it is about the apocalypse and it is a contemporary novel. AND YOU WANT TO READ IT.

There’s this guy named Phillip and he’s the main character and he’s kinda hilarious at times. And his love interest, sweet Rebekah? She is hilarious. I love her. The characters are outstanding in this novel. They are amazing and so well done.

This book has issues. Like class-A issues. Phillip’s mom is dead. Phillip’s dad has issues with religion and now wants to purge the basement that is filled with—wait for it—everything you need to survive the apocalypse. Rebekah has issues. Everybody has issues in this book, and it’s awesome. Well, I mean, it makes the book seem more realistic.

Okay, the religious part. You probably turned your nose up when you read that, didn’t you? I had problems with Small Town Sinners, but Apocalypse I had very few problems. (There’s a point where they’re trying to convert people to their religion and that really bothered me. I *hate* when people try to convert others to their religion and I think nobody should be allowed to do that. But it’s part of their religion, so they sort of have to do it… but it still bothered me.) And the religious part does play a huge role in this book—so if you don’t like reading about religion, you might not want to read this book.

However, if you love contemporary novels a la Hannah Moskowitz, you will definitely love this book. So, while I was reading Apocalypse, I had this itch that holy mother, this author is just like another author! Writing style-wise, character-wise, plot-wise, and for the longest time, I couldn’t remember who Lucas Klauss was like. Then I looked at my bookshelf. More importantly, I looked in the middle of the S&S shelf.

Hannah Moskowitz. And guys, she even blurbed this book. So if you like Hannah’s books, then you’ll probably like Lucas Klauss’ debut, Everything You Need to Survive the Apocalypse.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Everything You Need to Survive the Apocalypse.

12/29/2011 page 111
33.0% "i. love. this."
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Reut (new) - added it

Reut I do love me some Hannah books! I'll be reading this :)

Ashelynn Hannah books are bamf. Enjoy APOCALYPSE when you read it! :)