Kimberly's Reviews > This Book Is Overdue!: How Librarians and Cybrarians Can Save Us All

This Book Is Overdue! by Marilyn Johnson

Jul 05, 11

bookshelves: non-fiction, library_science
Read in July, 2011

Not my favorite style of book--lots of interesting, but somewhat random stories. Some of the stories were pretty cool, but I also came away from the book feeling like I'll be a failure in life if I'm not some over-the-top amazing librarian who changes the world!!! Those stories and people are cool, but to some extent, they're the exception, not the norm. We can't all take on the Supreme Court by disregarding an FBI letter and challenging the Patriot Act. If we get the opportunity, great, but many won't. Can we still be proud to be librarians if all we do is serve everyone who enters the library in a friendly manner and try to do our jobs well? I don't think I fit in the elite world of librarians that is described in this book, but I still think I'll be a pretty good librarian. Maybe I missed the point of this book.... New students entering my MLIS program are being asked to read this book, and, honestly, I think if I had read this book when I started my degree, I would have been a little freaked out that I was expected to be a superhero. I'm not a superhero, but I will gladly smile, give you personal attention, and help you as best I can if you encounter me at a reference desk some day. :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read This Book Is Overdue!.

Linda O But smiling, giving personal attention, and helping (while not strangling anyone) DOES make you a superhero! I will never be an over-the-top librarian either but I am happy there are those who are since they keep us in the world's public eye.