Kelli's Reviews > Becca by the Book

Becca by the Book by Laura Jensen Walker

Dec 27, 11

bookshelves: present-day-fiction
Read from July 05 to 15, 2011

This is a fluffy chick lit. It started out enjoyable to read but I do have one peeve--I don't like series books that keep introducing you to the past main characters in books. Its gets a bit stale and old for me.

Becca by the Book is an interesting take on writing a book about someone whose perspective of Christians, comes from the outside--the main character being a non-christ follower at the beginning of the story. While I like the concept, I felt that the author was being super cliche, while trying hard not to be, making it all the more cliched. The church scenes and the main characters concept of what a non christian would think, was totally by the book and written like cardboard. Lucy was a sweet character and a cool influence on Becca. However, she was described so sadly and very unbelievable as a former drug addict.

Plus the whole book begins to fall completely apart by the last quarter. The ending doesn't even make sense. The whole character of Ben doesn't even serve a purpose. Its like the whole weight of the book was dumped during big parts of the story. The wanting to go to Africa bits were a good idea, I just wish thats what the book had been written about, and not another mediocre chick-lit where each girl gets a quick wrap-up ending.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Becca by the Book.