Whatchyareading's Reviews > Eve

Eve by Anna Carey

Sep 08, 11

bookshelves: dystopian, young-adult, caitlin
Read in September, 2011

I was really excited for this book. I’m not even sure why. I hadn’t heard of it previous to going to Comic Con but when it was talked about at the HarperCollins panel I decided it must be mine. Luckily they were giving out copies on Sunday so I snagged one. (Though I didn’t have time to meet the author.)

I thought Eve suffered a little from a lack of world building. There seemed just enough to get the story going but not quite enough to have everything make sense. I’m really hoping this is addressed later in the series.

The relationship between Eve and Caleb is very well done and I was thankful that it didn’t go from fear and distrust to love overnight. Eve has to take her time to learn the truth about men as she’s been lied to all her life about them. Though my favourite relationship in the book is definitely between Eve and her friend Arden. They clashed so well at the beginning and then were forced to go on the run together. It was interesting to watch their friendship unfold.

Arden was one of the most believable characters in Eve. She was tough and knew what she was doing in this world. Lied when she had to and didn’t feel bad about it. A perfect foil to Eve who’d bought into the lies the government had told her all her life and was generally a nice, naive person.

So, while this wouldn’t be the first dystopian I would recommend it was definitely a fun read full of excitement and a potentially interesting world. I’m reserving total judgement until I read the rest of the series. It could really go either way.

Reviewed at WhatchYAreading on September 7, 2011.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eve.