Kristin's Reviews > The Wanderer

The Wanderer by Sharon Creech

Jul 23, 11

bookshelves: children-s-books

Didn't hook me--but then again, I'm an adult now. Walk Two Moons was my most favorite book for much of my early adolescence, and still when I read it again I find it very rich, layered, and amazing. I didn't get past the beginning of this one, though, mostly because my disbelief wasn't suspended that this 13 year old girl "had to" sail the sea. Maybe the reasons why she "had to" were upcoming, I don't know. I just thought that since sailing the ocean is a pretty time, cost, and privilege intensive activity that it wouldn't be considered something that the actual SOUL unshakably requires. I mean, if I had a 13 year old kid and they told me they "had to" sail the sea, I would tell them "Nope, sorry," and they would simply have to move onto something else. That's how real life usually works except for the ultra-rich, which these characters didn't strike me as... I'm sure I wanted to do crazy things when I was 13, too, but my parents didn't just LET me. That's my main beef. The other is that the writing style seemed to be a less believable and more hollow imitation of that of Walk Two Moons. And it kind of sets out to be the same kind of story, but that show just can't be followed!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wanderer.