Nicola's Reviews > 100 Notes on Violence

100 Notes on Violence by Julie Carr

Jul 05, 2011

liked it
Read in July, 2011

Perhaps, I was too excited about this book. I heard Carr read in Tucson, and found these notes mesmerizing, like I was overhearing an uncanny frequency. And the cover is dynamite. I had to turn this book facedown so the drowned child wouldn't stare at me. But the notes themselves didn't accumulate for me.

It's as though Carr has shattered a mirror and then sought to pick up the fragmented pieces and re-construct the mirror in new, strange ways. This impossible endeavor suits its impossible subject: to understand violence, especially its commonality.

But do these lyric fragments take enough shape? On a language level, I would say yes. The language was imbued with trauma, with words like wounds and with phrases truncated--as though the speaker were stopped mid-breath--and surrounded by a shocked, boundless, white space. But does the project succeed on a content level, ultimately? I'm not entirely sure. I wanted more fleshed-out meditation. My favorite pieces were the bulkiest. I also found the more concrete pieces--for example, the one with the student in her office who has burns on his hands--the most memorable and thought-provoking.

Compared to C.D. Wright's "One Big Self," for example, this book feels undeveloped and, for this reader, unsuccessful.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 100 Notes on Violence.