Wastrel's Reviews > The God of Small Things

The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy

Jan 09, 15

bookshelves: r-un, z-2010, brilliant, mundane-fiction
Read in September, 2010

A skillful and deeply moving first novel. Often described as post-colonial, that seems to me to be entirely missing the point. This is a very traditional tragedy - it explicitly nails its colours to the mast by declaring that great stories are those that don't surprise you. And throughout this novel, we know what is going to happen - not the details, perhaps, but the general shape of it. We just can't escape.

The story is told from two perspectives, across the decades that divide a young girl from a young woman, and it is this sense of the passing of time - masterfully portrayed in the prose, which varies between childish simplicity and sophisticated elegaic lament. It is almost magic realism in the strength and breadth of its metaphors - we can take it on faith that nothing supernatural is happening, but the narrator, particularly when inhabiting a child's eye, makes no such distinctions. The metaphors repeat - everything repeats and repeats, metaphors and turns of phrase, premonitions and reflections, building up a rich texture of meaning and dread through repetition and through variation. This is perhaps the first novel I've read where the old line from the wine-tasting branch of literary criticism, "this novel creates its own language", actually seems applicable.

Perhaps it's too annoyingly twee at times - too childish. Perhaps the repetition gets a bit boring now and then - certainly i found it less effecting and more affected on a re-read, armed with the knowledge of EXACTLY what was going to happen. On a re-read, I found it a little artificial.

That said, it's still extremely good. It's beautiful and striking, deep and yet instantly accessible, and horrifically moving.

And my full thoughts can be found HERE.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The God of Small Things.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Cecily Post-colonial? I guess, maybe - but I think you're right: it misses the point. The colonial legacy is the context, not the story or its meaning. (I've just checked my own, longish review, and see I never mentioned the c word).