Nadeem's Reviews > My Life in Orange

My Life in Orange by Tim Guest

Apr 08, 12

bookshelves: memoir, cults
Read from July 05 to 16, 2011 — I own a copy

I really liked this book despite parts of it seeming a bit tiring. Part of what's interesting is learning about Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh, who was this "guru" that had an international following. As the book is the memoir of Tim Guest, whose mother was heavily involved in the group, one gets an inside perspective on what his life was like growing up in that context. What I found interesting about his take was learning about how Bhagwan's followers were attempting to live this alternative, "spiritual" lifestyle, but despite their airy philosophy the children of many of these folks missed out on the basic connection between a parent and child. It's almost like a bad, unethical experiment on what would happen to a child who misses out on structure, discipline, and attention from parental figures. It's essentially two stories, one between a son and his mother (and dad to an extent) and another of a religious organization gone mad, where people follow a leader without question. While the book could have been cut short by about 50 pages, trimming down the extent he gets into playing in all the places he moved, I enjoyed it.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Life in Orange.