Nsbooklady's Reviews > Happy Birthday

Happy Birthday by Danielle Steel

Apr 21, 2012

liked it
Read in April, 2012

I have read one other Danielle Steele book a very long time ago and enjoyed it. This one looked appealing when I read the plot line so I decided to give it a try. I really did enjoy the characters - April Wyatt, her mother Valerie Wyatt and Jack Adams. The book begins on the birthday that all 3 share. April is working VERY hard at making her restaurant, April in New York, a great success. Her customers love it so she tries not to take too much offense when a reviewer, Mike Steinman, gives it a bad review. She has worked 18 hour days to make it a success giving up any semblance of a personal life. Valerie is a character very closely modeled after Martha Stewart. Her being so career driven resulted in her divorce and she is now married to her career. Jack is a former NFL star who works for the same network as Valerie and is too busy enjoying the young women who fawn after his notoriety.

The interactions between all these people were interesting but I think this book could have been a lot better if the writing had been a little more detailed rather than descriptive in an almost news like fashion. These are potentially very interesting people with twists and turns in their interactions that could have been developed differently.

I would not hesitate to read another Steele novel. I can't say that I didn't enjoy it. I just was a bit disappointed in the lack of character development and the dryness.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Happy Birthday.