Ruth's Reviews > Nicholas Dane

Jul 05, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: abandoned
Read in July, 2011

The author was trying to copy Charles Dickens. Even I know that this is one of those Unspeakable Rules Which Can't Be Broken, because NO AUTHOR CAN EVER REPLICATE A DICKENS STORY. Of course it was gonna collapse and be overwhelmed with too many story lines due to the story's overall plot line. Of course the reader will be annoyed with the "fairy-tale-like" narration that Burgess has tried to use, because I for one hated the way the book was narrated.

Okay, this is a book about a kid who gets kicked into the foster care system then gets sexually abused and mentally scarred forever and ever. Is the patient, over explanatory, CHILDLIKE narration necessary? No. I just thought it was unsettling and irritating, because the style just DOESN'T FIT with the story.

That's the main reason why I abandoned the book. The author's style got in the way for the characters to truly stand out and appeal to me. We seem to know all about Nick Dane's life, we were there when his mother overdosed on heroin, but the author's style of narration didn't create enough emotion for me to sympathize with any of the characters. Burgess over-explained too many things, added too many unnecessary little stories, and because of this I got distracted from the characters and what they were actually like.

I would not recommend this book to anyone. Sure, from the little summary on the inside cover of the book, it probably sounds appealing enough for someone to pick up, but the real story is a seriously messed up case of rotten chicken pox. (okay i just made that up)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nicholas Dane.

12/16/2016 marked as: abandoned