Lyndz's Reviews > When She Woke

When She Woke by Hillary Jordan

Jul 27, 11

bookshelves: first-reads, favorites, own, reviewed
Read from July 12 to 17, 2011

First off, I do not just go around tossing out 5 stars all willy nilly. This is something I reserve only for my very favorite books. I predict that this book is going to be a hit with book clubs across the nation. It is an excellent read, it is provocative, enthralling, and thought provoking. This subject matter sticks with you. It forces you to take a closer look at your beliefs and see things from a different point of view. I highly recommend checking it out when it is released. Hillary Jordan is an expert at crafting a well told story. I can’t wait to check out Mudbound.

“Hannah Payne’s life has been devoted to church and family, but after her arrest, she awakens to a nightmare: she is lying on a table in a bare room, covered only by a paper gown, with cameras broadcasting her every move to millions at home, for whom observing new Chromes—criminals whose skin color has been genetically altered to match the class of their crime—is a new and sinister form of entertainment. Hannah is a Red; her crime is murder. The victim, according to the State of Texas, was her unborn child, and Hannah is determined to protect the identity of the father, a public figure with whom she’s shared a fierce and forbidden love.
When She Woke is a fable about a stigmatized woman struggling to navigate an America of a not-too-distant future—where the line between church and state has been eradicated and convicted felons are no longer imprisoned and rehabilitated but chromed and released back into the population to survive as best they can. In seeking a path to safety in an alien and hostile world, Hannah unknowingly embarks on a path of self-discovery that forces her to question the values she once held true and the righteousness of a country that politicizes faith.”

I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When She Woke.

07/13/2011 page 20
07/22/2011 page 300
85.0% "Loving this book & crossing my fingers that it ends well."
07/24/2011 page 300
85.0% "I finished this the other day but i want to write a review that will do the book justice and I wont have time to sit down and do that for a few days."
show 3 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cathy (new)

Cathy This does look good. I had entered, also. Didn't win but I'm looking forward to reading it.

Lyndz I really lucked out on this one!

Chance Maree I was fortunate to win this on First Reads as well. Fantastic story, and with only two or so typos. I expect a film version.

Lyndz I do too! There were a couple scenes in particular I could vividly picture in a movie. Hillary Jordan does an excellent job of painting a dynamic scene.

Rose Ann I am meeting the author this Thursday for a reading/signing! Cannot wait to start it!

Lyndz Wow that sounds exciting. I would love to know what you think of the book when you finish. I absolutely loved it.

Terry you will not be disappointed with Mudbound. Excellent read!!

Rose Ann I just finished! I really wish I had read this before meeting the author.
A favorite!

Lyndz Thanks Terry, I look forward to reading it.

Rose Ann, I am glad you liked it too!