Bry's Reviews > 7th Sigma

7th Sigma by Steven Gould

Aug 02, 11

bookshelves: dystopian, 2011, sci-fi, stand-alone
Read from July 24 to 31, 2011

Anyone else notice dystopian novels are being released like every other week, kinda like when Pride and Prejudice and Zombies came out and then monster mash up books were coming out so fast you didn't even know they existed until you stumbled across them in the book store.

This is yet another dystopian novel that has been released among the hordes of others that have great premises but seriously fail in the execution. Whether that is due to time restraints (publishers wanting to churn these books out at a breakneck speed, most likely this books problem), or a writers lack of talent (not really the case with this book in particular) or some other reason. Either way, the results are disappointing.

This books main problem was the fact that there wasn't a single overreaching plot. Some might say that it was a coming of age story of Kimble but I disagree. The book is marketed as a scifi, dystopian adventure, and so the plot should be mysterious, centered around the problems with the environment the characters are living in, and affect their livelihoods in some way. Not just be a bunch of vignettes jumping months, and even years at a time, of one boys life. Sadly there was possibility of a great overarching plot involving the evolution of the bugs that have taken over this portion of the US into sentient creatures but it is literally not even mentioned until the last 5 pages and the brushed off completely from the main characters concerns like it isn't his problem so oh well, whatever, life goes on.

Otherwise I do think it was a well written book with excellent settings and descriptions. The characters all pretty much had their one character trait and that was it, ad Kimble was a little too good to be true considering he was raised in an abusive household, and lived on the streets. I did feel invested in them despite this and cared that they overcame their obstacles. Again though the problem was the lack of an overall obstacle.

Basically it felt as if the entire book were actually only the firs third of any other book. So it definitely started to feel longer towards the end and become harder to stick with and read since there wasn't really any build up or climax. To me this says that this book is meant to become a series, but judging from this book alone that isn't made clear, nor is there a 7th Sigma book hinted at on the authors website or goodreads.

tldr: great premise but a lack of over arcing plot = fail.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 7th Sigma.

07/24/2011 page 107
28.0% "Really enjoyed the last chapter. Some of the reviews had me worried about this book but so far it's been ok. Not outstanding or anything but considering all the outright crap I have been reading lately I'm just glad it isn't horrible."
07/25/2011 page 155
40.0% "It's odd but I don't think there is an over arcing plot to this book. It seems to just be little snatches of Kimble's life as he grows. There isn't any build up to some great problem, battle, etc. Not sure what the point of the story is besides watching Kimble grow a bit."
07/30/2011 page 191
50.0% "Still an ok book but it's still told as mini stories without much of an over arching plot."
07/30/2011 page 260
68.0% "Only 120 pages to go and still no overall plot. Although part 3 just started and Kimble seems to have grown up a ton off screen. No idea how old he is now but he def ain't 14 anymore. Getting pretty bored since this book doesn't seem to be building up to anything."
07/31/2011 page 384
100.0% "Finished. It's sad but the book didn't even really start until the very end. What I could have seen becoming the main plot for the whole book wasn't really explored until the last 5 pages and then completely dropped from the characters cares. This whole book was really just the first third of any other book. Oh well just another bad book i've read this year Real review to come."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Greta is Erikasbuddy I have totally noticed that with these kinds of books and to be honest I'm getting sick of them!! I can only read so much depressing apacolptic junk before I do the unthinkable and watch Hannah Montanna to cheer me up ;)

Awesome review!

message 2: by Bry (new) - rated it 2 stars

Bry Greta is Erikasbuddy wrote: "I have totally noticed that with these kinds of books and to be honest I'm getting sick of them!! I can only read so much depressing apacolptic junk before I do the unthinkable and watch Hannah Mon..."

I know!! :( At this point I would rather spend my time rereading books I know and love instead of taking a chance on something new, especially since I have read like 8 crappy books in a row.

Greta is Erikasbuddy Good grief!!! 8 craptastic books in a row? That super sucks a duck!!!

message 4: by Bry (new) - rated it 2 stars

Bry Oh my god it is. Makes me want to quit reading! LOL. Or at least switch genres.

Greta is Erikasbuddy I bet!!!