Michael's Reviews > What's the Matter with Kansas? How Conservatives Won the Heart of America

What's the Matter with Kansas? How Conservatives Won the Hear... by Thomas Frank

Jul 05, 2011

did not like it
Read from May 22 to 27, 2012

I was really excited to read this book because I wanted to learn some cold hard non-fiction facts about the Republican party's success at recruiting middle-to-low income voters. While Frank did offer up ideas and suggestions from his hometown in Kansas, the narrative was more like a manifesto: (1) speculative feelings, (2) broad remarks, and (3) anecdotal stories. Hypocritically, Frank accused the conservatives of using 1, 2, and 3 instead of sociological or economic data. In the end, I agree with Frank's statements but he was less-than-convincing; again, this is ironic since he even talked about his time on his high school debate team.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What's the Matter with Kansas? How Conservatives Won the Heart of America.

05/27/2012 page 161
48.0% "The book reads like a fireside chat with your drunk uncle. Although I'm sure some of Frank's arguments are objective, many seem speculative."
12/14/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Robert (new)

Robert this one is good--enjoy

message 2: by Robert (new)

Robert I liked this book too. I still wonder why all these religious right people vote against their self interest. The Republican party elite is really run by the rich wing, not the religious wing.