Simon West-Bulford's Reviews > Stranger Will

Stranger Will by Caleb J. Ross

Feb 07, 13

bookshelves: author-friends
Read from July 05 to August 21, 2011

I already had a sense of apprehension when I bought this book. I know Caleb, you see. I've read a fair amount of his work and one thing I know: his characters give me the willies. So having read the opener a little while back, I had a pretty good idea what I was getting into.

Stranger Will doesn't disappoint. It delivers a story which stirs up subject matter that's thought provoking and uncomfortable. William, the central character is - as the title suggests - a strange fellow (though the reason for the title is even stranger), and I often found myself bemused by his traits. Despite his pessimistic view on life, he has a curious sense of humour (if not a bit inappropriate) which made for an interesting personality. But the most beautiful and tragic (tragic because it comes too late) part of the story is his dawning realization in the latter part of the book that he has a lot more to understand about himself and what he actually, deep down, really believes.

Will isn't the only trouble character in the book. His closest friend has issues, but the real star of the book for me (because she is so sinister) is the woman that takes him under her wing. But it's more like the win of a vulture than a hen.

Yes. A fascinating story with unusual characters and plot turns that I just didn't expect.

A satisfying read with a satisfying ending.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stranger Will.