Kristine Coumbe's Reviews > Why God Won't Go Away: Is the New Atheism Running on Empty?

Why God Won't Go Away by Alister E. McGrath

Jul 05, 11

bookshelves: highly-recommended, nonfiction
Read in July, 2011

If you are like me you may have noticed more atheism in pop culture or may even know some Atheists. You may not even understand what atheism is or where it originated. That is exactly why I was excited to read “Why God Won’t Go Away” by Alister McGrath. Thanks to McGrath's "Why God Won't Go Away" I can have lively, intelligent, and well informed discussions with my atheist friends.

Mc Grath, a former atheist, is a historian and theology scholar who knows the New Atheist movement well. McGrath has publicly debated the media savvy supporters like Richard Dawkins, Christopher Hitchens and Tom Harris. Some important points McGrath will outline and define are: 1)Who are the New Atheists and what do they believe? 2) Is religion delusional and evil? 3) Are Humans fundamentally good? and finally, 4)How do reason and science prove or disprove faith?

Apparently atheism has always been around. The difference now between atheism and new atheism is that the new atheism does not just attack the existence of God, but all religions. Proponents of New Atheism use faulty logic and very little evidence to support their claims which makes all proponents of this movement seem as angry and bitter.

McGrath writes with accessible language and does back up his claims with sound evidence. I feel that this short and easy to read book would be useful to both scholars and non-scholars alike. I found myself taking notes throughout reading this book. Not only do I have a better understanding of the New Atheist movement but also the leaders of the movement such as Dawkins and Hitchens. McGrath uses proper logic in defining and outlining new atheism. Which I feel most critical and nonfiction authors lack. One caveat, I wish there was a study guide included to deepen my understanding of new atheism. However,Alister
McGrath provides wonderful citations for further study.I highly recommend this well written book to all.

I received "Why God Won't Go Away" from Booksneeze and am not required to give a positive review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Why God Won't Go Away.