-k The Lady Critic's Reviews > The Shattering

The Shattering by Karen Healey

Sep 14, 11

bookshelves: arc-copy, e-book, for-review
Read from August 15 to 24, 2011

I didn’t know what to expect when I went into reading this novel. I was thinking that it would be more of a mystery/thriller and that was it. What I got, instead, was something slightly unexpected – which I have to admit made me read the pages as fast as I could.

The chapters in this novel alternated between Keri, Janna and Sione and offered a different perspective each chapter with each having their own idea as to what was happening pertaining to the murders. Usually this is something I don’t enjoy with a novel but it really worked with this one. It was nice to see the different voices each time and get to really know the characters.

I have to admit that Janna was the main character that I disliked the most. I found her flighty and annoying at times and even though she came through at the end hers were the chapters that I liked the least. Sione fell a little flat, but I loved Keri. She was one of those characters who really grew as the story went along. I felt more for her with her brother dying than I did the other two, though maybe that’s just because hers was a more recent tragedy.

This was a novel that kept me wondering right until the last few chapters and, even though there were a few parts that I think didn’t work that well, it was a really enjoyable novel. Plus, it was great to read a novel based in New Zealand for a change.

If the summary is something that interests you (and you are able to keep a relatively open mind for the path it takes) I would suggest you try this novel out. 7.5/10.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Shattering.

08/17/2011 page 67