Jared's Reviews > The Film Club: A True Story of a Father and Son

The Film Club by David Gilmour

M 50x66
Jul 05, 11

Read in July, 2011

Read the book more or less in one sitting because it is such an easy read. I am a film snob wannabe so half of what attracted me to the book was all the different movies discussed. For me this paid off through the whole book. I could have been happy reading about movies for 200 pages but the author moved on to things about his job, his son, and all the bad mistakes they both made. I still have not gathered all my thoughts on the father (the son is from the father's perspective so his ideas of the son are skewed at best). I am glad the son went to college though. There was one part of the book that upset me because I so badly want to go into film. It was when the son answered all of these questions about film (particularly french new wave) and I realized I know precious little about french new wave. Almost threw the book across the room.
I can see how the author's attempts at self justification could be seen as annoying. I can also see people being horrified that he let his son drop out of school. THe author does have a problem with trying to be cool, and then sounding pompous. It also seems that maybe he was a bad father because he let his son get away with too much. It is kind of hard to know exactly what was going on because of the viewpoint anyways. I found the book enjoyable, and some of the flaws a little bit endearing.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Film Club.