Danielle Stoll's Reviews > The Private Letters of Countess Erzsebet Bathory

The Private Letters of Countess Erzsebet Bathory by Kimberly L. Craft

May 21, 12

bookshelves: currently-reading

I never finished this book, though I do intend to. The author, Kimberly L. Craft, does preface the book by warning readers this particular book may be more enjoyable after first reading "Infamous Lady: The True Story of Countess Ersebet Bathory" which was published first. I decided to ignore the advice and give "Private Letters" a shot. I got about halfway through before admitting I should backtrack.
Regardless, Craft has an excellent writing style. She basically gives a chronological story with primary evidence. She offers translations of correspondence between Bathoy and other important characters of Bathoy's lifetime, then interjects a few short comments about the direction of history to keep the reader on track. The style is easy to follow, but the history of the time and the names of the time (and relationships) are harder to follow.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Private Letters of Countess Erzsebet Bathory.

07/22/2011 page 28
20.0% "While it is interesting to speculate whether Countess Bathory personally used cannabis either recreationally or medicinally, her letter does indeed prove that she maintained it in her household."