Laura's Reviews > Dark Currents

Dark Currents by Lindsay Buroker

Yeah, I loved this one. Somehow, it’s even better than the first one. The characters get explored a little more, and I’ve decided that I want to personally know each and every one of the team. They might all be wanted criminals and some have trying personalities, but their interactions with one another are so great and believable, that I want to be part of that team. Basilard doesn’t even speak yet I always enjoyed his interactions with Akstyr. I’m a sucker for good relationship building. In the first book, Maldynado = Finnick from The Hunger Games, for me. By the end of this book, that’s not really the case anymore. He’s now separated in my mind from Finnick (not that I ever had a problem with it, because I loved Finnick).

Buroker does something different with the storytelling in this book. While The Emperor’s Edge mainly focuses on Amaranthe (with occasional Sespian chapters), in Dark Currents, she splits the book between Amaranthe and Books. She has said that each book she writes in the series will use a member of the Emperor’s Edge team as the secondary character to Amaranthe’s chapters. I love this concept. There’s no denying that Amaranthe is the main character, but this will allow all of the others to become fully fleshed. I can’t wait to see what Maldynado’s chapters will be like. I’m interested to see what goes on Sicarius’ head, but I have a feeling that might be saved for last. But Basilard is next, and considering what we learn about him (and Sicarius) in this book, I think that makes sense.

My only complaint plotwise, is that the final confrontation with Amaranthe and the giant, dangerous beasts, is a little like the one at the end of the first book. Where Amaranthe is the bait and she has to lure the beasts to where Maldynado is waiting with a contraption to take them down.

And the biggest disappointment for me (but it didn’t detract at all from my enjoyment of the book. It was just something that I thought about afterward) was that Sespian doesn’t show up at all in this book. Although, I did enjoy that there was a rather serious conversation between Sicarius and Amaranthe about the fact that the emperor clearly has a puppy dog crush on her and he’ll always hate and distrust Sicarius. It’s something that needs to be addressed. (view spoiler).

There are supposed to be six books total in this series. Next one, please!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dark Currents.

08/03/2011
4.0% "I'm ridiculously excited to read this book and see Amaranthe and Sicarius again! I hope there's a decent amount of Sespian too."
show 1 hidden update…