Chris's Reviews > Kitty's Big Trouble

Kitty's Big Trouble by Carrie Vaughn

Jul 06, 11

bookshelves: werewolves-are-awesome, fantasy-urban, fantasy-fairy-tales-influ
Read from July 04 to 05, 2011

Really a 2.5 or a 2.9. It's not quite a three, but it isn't really a two. I liked it much better than Discord's Apple, but not as well as the other Kitty books.

Here's what I like about the Kitty series, including this one. I like the fact that Kitty doesn't get power creeps, unless it is knowledge. The only power she gains is mental and emotional; she is simply a werewolf. I like that. I like the fact that Kitty is married. I like the fact that Kitty questions everything. The books make me laugh. I like how Vaughn challenges the vampire/werewolf hierachy that dominates every other Urban Fantasy book. I could live, however, without the vampire politics that seem to appear in each and every series. Really if vampires were that bad, wouldn't everyone else just simply stake them?

So why two stars, you ask? Why this confused rating?

Part of it concerns the plot of this novel. It is very loose, and I never felt that any of the characters were danger, even minor characters. Vaughn is usually good at that, check out Kitty's House of Horrors, for instance. Part of it was the inclusion of certain characters (I'm trying not to use spoilers here). Kitty doesn't power creep, but she is becoming a little too special sometimes. I did like very much, however, Grace's parting shots.

But my main problem is Ben. Now I know some fans of this series really want the Ben/Kitty/Cormac triangle. I don't. I like the fact that Kitty is married. The only author who does that is Kelley Armstrong. I just wish Ben was a bit more of a character. In some ways, he feels like a male version of that interchangable movie chick who is just there to look good running in slo-mo and as a romantic (lust really) lead. This is a shame because Ben didn't start out like that. In many ways, Vaughn is defining him solely in terms of Kitty. While this in some way makes sense, Kitty is the one who eased his transformation into werewolf, I wish they were more equals, at least in how the characters are drawn. Vaughn herself seems somewhat aware of this, and hopefully it will work itself out by the next book, which I will buy and read.
15 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kitty's Big Trouble.

Anna I agree with your comments about Ben - Kitty is developed at the expense of the other characters which is a shame - they end up dead (TJ), in prison (Cormac), kidnapped (Ben), killed (Jeremy and Ariel)or just ignored because theyare in the wrong city eg the Washington characters and the rest of her pack.

Chris Yes! I miss female sheriff character, whose name I can't remember at the moment.

message 3: by Anna (last edited Feb 24, 2012 01:56PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anna Agreed. Just finished HoH - 'Big Touble' is my next book. I was kind of hoping that Vaughn might match her up with Cormac. That would be interesting - both single minded but one breaking the law and the other upholding it!

Chris That would be so cool!

Anna Found it - Detective Hardin. Just finished 'Goes to War' liked it more than I expected.