Karla's Reviews > Sharpe's Tiger

Sharpe's Tiger by Bernard Cornwell

Jul 05, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: adventure, audiobook, british-colonial, eras-18th-century, eras-napoleonic, historical-fiction, india-and-orient, adaptations-and-abridgments
Recommended for: fans of routine adventure stuff
Read from July 04 to 05, 2011

It's a mystery to me why I don't enjoy these books as much as I know I should. I mean, it's about a scrapper in a uniform who can't avoid danger and adventure and he does it while being all manly male and stuff. I love the series of movies starring Sean Bean, but the books simply lack something (besides Sean Bean). Maybe it's Cornwell's style - it's straightforward, yet totally unremarkable. At least, I fail to get excited over it. Sharpe is three-dimensional (barely), but the other characters linger in a two-dimension limbo. This installment was jazzed up considerably by the presence of Obediah Hakeswill, but he's not a deep character by any means. But as a grotesquerie, his scenes stood out.

I might get around to reading the full book, but this abridgment read by Sean Bean (woot!) is probably as close as I'll get to touching Cornwell's series from here on out. I read Sharpe's Rifles years ago and wasn't inspired to tackle the others on my TBR. It will probably end up staying that way.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sharpe's Tiger.

05/15 marked as: read

message 1: by Kerrie (new)

Kerrie Couldn't get into his Starbuck Chronicles. Again, Civil War adventure, battles and such... Should have been interesting, but Cornwell's style is SO dry.

Karla I know! He writes about STUFF I LIKE, but the way he writes it? Ugh. Boring. Feel the exact same way about Jeff Shaara's writing.

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Hee! I watched the tv version with my dad when I was a kid. That was the first time I'd ever seen Sean & I thought he was the coolest badass ever. Then I met Han Solo...

Karla Oooh, now that's a conundrum right there for me. Which reluctantly honorable bounder do I love best?

It's a draw.

message 5: by Sarah (new)

Sarah I loved Luke Skywalker AND Han Solo. I'm a traitor to the bounders.

...Though I have never gotten over my Doc Holliday love in Tombstone. Rawr.

Karla Ditto for Doc. *swoons*

There's far too much movie manmeat to perv over thoroughly. I feel like such a flirty tramp by flitting here and there.

message 7: by Sarah (new)

Sarah I gave up & made myself a harem of hotness. >:)

Ross Obviously, because you are a girl. This is high testosterone stuff.

Karla Ross wrote: "Obviously, because you are a girl. This is high testosterone stuff."

Hah! Wow. Do I even want to touch that? Whipping out my high testosterone lovin' credentials would only make me feel cheap and defensive.

message 10: by Ross (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ross Actually, I was quite surprised scanning the reviews to see the number of women giving this novel and the series high marks. While very well written it is not great literature, but does appeal strongly to the male psyche. I was only kidding of course with my churlish chauvinistic comment.

Karla Of course. I'm simply not a fan of Cornwell's style. It's too dry for my tastes.

Carol Storm I think his books are fun, as far as battle scenes go. But his villains and his women are always the same cardboard cutouts over and over.

message 13: by Ross (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ross Carol: The books are really about the battles, not the women or the villains. You read them for the battles, or don't bother.

Karla Carol, it does indeed make one (well, me, anyway) wonder why Cornwell just doesn't write for Osprey Publishing if he's going to mess up that whole fictional side of the craft.

message 15: by Ross (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ross Karla: It is probably because Patrick died 20 years ago.

Carol Storm I just finished this book and I loved it, but as a general rule I agree with you. In the books (not the movies) Sharpe can come across as sort of bitter and resentful and griping all the time. Conan the Barbarian had fun being a super warrior hero!