Kristine's Reviews > Shutter Island

Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane

May 07, 2012

bookshelves: novel, mystery, historical, own-it-and-have-read
Read in August, 2009

I picked this up in an airport before a return flight after unexpectedly finishing my only other book on the way out (and one does not go without a book when flying from Los Angeles to Ohio). I was early, so I had plenty of time to search, but nothing else in the tiny shop sounded as interesting as an old asylum for the criminally insane, despite Leonardo DiCaprio's face staring at me. I'm glad I overcame my dislike of the actor and chose this one, as my first Lehane didn't disappoint. (Consequently, Leo didn't disappoint in his role int he film, either)

The story jumps right in to the tale of an FBI agent who has been called with his partner to Shutter Island to investigate the disappearance of a woman from her locked cell. The characterization was engrossing and deep, which helps make the twist at the end all the more unexpected. The writing style was fast-paced and interesting, keeping me reading throughout most of the flight. There was a good smattering of language and some sexuality that some readers may want to avoid. The tension throughout was kept perfectly tuned, and the ending put a great twist on a somewhat tired plot device.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shutter Island.