Elena's Reviews > Living Promises

Living Promises by Amy Lane

F_50x66
Jul 05, 11

This is Jeff's story. In the prologue we meet him as a med student, crazily in love with his big African American boyfriend, who has to leave for Irak. Shortly afterwards Jeff finds out he got infected with HIV and his boyfriend is killed in action.
Fast forward six years. Jeff has become part of our favourite fictionate family - a real fairy-Jeff-father. But behind the snarky, well groomed mask, he is still suffering.

I like all of Amy Lanes novels, but this one especially. It is different from other HIV tales because Jeff and his love interest are not freshly infected, nor are they in danger of dying. They "just" have to live with it, but that's not always easy. In the discussions about HIV and Aids this part often gets neglected and I found it to be a good reminder.
While HIV always lurks in the background and influences Jeff's life in many ways, it doesn't overwhelm the story. There are a lot of other issues to content with, like racism, loss of family and building a new one, forgiveness or lack thereof.
We also learn more about what happens to the other members of the family.
This is a wonderful book, highly recommended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Living Promises.