Jessi's Reviews > The Name of the Wind

Apr 24, 12

bookshelves: rock-my-world, epic-fantasy
Read from March 30 to April 22, 2012

Originally posted at Otherwhere.co

Warning: There may be gushing.

Patrick Rothfuss, is a Whedon fan nerd (seriously go check out his author page). That right there, should tell you something. The Name of the Wind, had been on my list for awhile. After reading some seriously mediocre books I was craving a good long fantasy novel. I love a good long read, especially if it’s well done. The Name of the Wind, had everything I was looking for and then blew right past my expectations. Mind, blown.

I must say in many ways, I enjoyed this more than Game of Thrones. While they can barely be compared, the emotions and attitude towards this tome were decidedly more positive and engaging than the violence and betrayal of Game of Thrones. There are no never ending lists of food or gratuitous descriptions of torture. More people live than die and ultimately there is a sense of hope and wonderment that weaves throughout The Name of the Wind.

Even with its length, I was never bored. I hung on every word, every story, every character. I cannot remember the last time I became this invested in a book. The world building was genius, the use of magic (sympathy), made perfect sense and played liked alchemy in a Final Fantasy game. The multiple threads of Kvothe’s character through music, intellect, wit, adventurousness, heroics and conscience are so brilliantly weaved, you can’t help but love him and be amazed by his journey.

The Point: A staple for fantasy (and non-fantasy) story lovers, with poignant prose, phenomenal character development, and just damn good storytelling. Worthy of multiple reads.

The Audiobook: I can’t say anything bad about the audiobook. It was perfect, the pacing, emotions, multiple characterizations, were played brilliantly by Nick Podehl. Except for one thing. He is too young for Kvothe or he needed to be english. Something.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Name of the Wind.

04/01/2012
12.0% "Nothing like a little light reading to start the spring season ;)"
04/04/2012
25.0% "Epic, fracking epic."
04/10/2012
50.0% "I cannot even begin to tell you how happy this book is making me :D"
04/17/2012
82.0% "This is the only book I've made progress on lately thanks to it being audio."
show 4 hidden updates…