Braiden's Reviews > A Million Suns

A Million Suns by Beth Revis

Jan 29, 12

bookshelves: 2012-releases, best-books-i’ve-read-in-2012
Read on January 26, 2012

And here we are, in the middle, surrounded by a sea of stars.

A million suns.

Any of them could hold a planet. Any of them could hold a home.

But all of them are out of reach. [p.218]

-------------

There’s no denying that I am insanely jealous of Beth Revis’s writing ability, and the fact that she can write such a great science-fiction novel. Not many authors can also conjure up a sequel that is equally if not better than the first: A Million Suns expands on its predecessor Across the Universe, but exceeds it by a long shot. Now I’m itching to get my hands on Shades of Earth, the third in the trilogy, as I know will not disappoint us at—frexing!—all. As it’s a year until we find out how Amy and Elder’s journey concludes, you might just find me in a padded psych ward until then. That’s only if the apocalypse doesn’t reach us first. Frex! My already hindered soul is being tortured some more. (Can you see that I love these books? Can you!?)

Read the rest of my review here.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Million Suns.

Quotes Braiden Liked

Beth Revis
“And here we are, in the middle, surrounded by a sea of stars.
A million suns.
Any of them could hold a planet. Any of them could hold a home.
But all of them are out of reach. [p.218]”

Beth Revis
“I look up, and he’s searching my eyes, just like he did after kissing me for the first time in the rain. “What are you looking for?”
He doesn’t answer.
He doesn’t need to.
I know what he wants.
And it’s not fair.
“Just because we’re the only two teenagers on this whole ship doesn’t mean I have to love you. Why can’t I have a choice? Options?”
Elder steps back, stung.
“Look, it’s not that I don’t like you,” I say quickly, reaching for him. He jerks away. “It’s just…”
“Just what?” he growls.
Just that if I was back on Earth instead of on this damn ship, if I had met Elder at school or at a club or on a blind date, if I had my choice between Elder and every other boy in the world…Would I love him then?
Would he love me?
Love without choice isn’t love at all.
“Just that I don’t want to be with you just because there’s no one else.” [p.57-58]”

Beth Revis
“I click on the deaths and read the names carefully, memorising them. Because here’s the simple truth—if I hadn’t taken the ship off Phydus, people like ***** and ******* would still be alive. And while I could say that a shorter life with feelings is better than a longer life without, the dead can’t tell me their side. [p.88]”

Beth Revis
“Before, if I thought Christmas, I would have remembered my past on Earth and would have succumbed to the aching sadness for a life I can never have again.
Now, I can think the word and not feel anything but a dull ache, a phantom pain for a part of my life that’s been amputated. [p.244]”

01/26/2012 page 60
16.0% "Loving it so far. Great twist already setting the book up for a lot."
01/26/2012 page 320
83.0% "I have been devouring this book."