Stacey's Reviews > Blackout

1020736
Blithering idiots.
Read rage.
That is all.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blackout.

07/16/2011 "Please somebody remind me why I am reading this? Oh yeah, the Hugo Awards. *sigh*"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Stacey Godhelpme, I'm 100+ pages into this thing and it's just not happening for me. No character development, no action, just a bunch of people running around (for real, running around,) screaming about the schedules being changed. Painful. Going to retire for the night and give it another 50 pages. If I don't see some story by then, back to the library it goes. This was Hugo nominated?!!! What. The. Hell.

message 2: by Maria (new)

Maria Schneider So, uh, not gonna make the "highly recommended" list???

:>)

Kemper It doesn't get any better. It gets far, far worse. Get away from it while you still can.

Stacey I heard from somebody else that there's a payoff if I can hang on until the last 1/3 of the second book. Seriously? I have to read 900 pages of this before I get the payoff? I'm still trying. I'm giving it until the 200p mark.

message 5: by Maria (new)

Maria Schneider Stacey wrote: "I heard from somebody else that there's a payoff if I can hang on until the last 1/3 of the second book. Seriously? I have to read 900 pages of this before I get the payoff? I'm still trying. I'm g..."
You're a better woman than me. I give most books about 30 pages. Less if they change POV twice before 30.

Stacey ooooh, you're hardcore. I don't mind POV changes (as long as it's intentional, and not that the writer can't figure things out,) but 200 pages is really good for me! I'm a compulsive finisher.

Kemper Stacey wrote: "I heard from somebody else that there's a payoff if I can hang on until the last 1/3 of the second book. Seriously? I have to read 900 pages of this before I get the payoff? I'm still trying. I'm g..."

Unless the payoff is a winning lottery ticket stuck in the pages of the book, I can't imagine anything that would make reading more about those dithering idiots worth it.

Stacey bah. That's it. If I have to read one more paragraph about the Hodbins, I'm going to punch something.

message 9: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Short, concise, informative review...Perfect!!! Between you and Kemper this book has become something of the Necronomicon in my literary world. I may have to try it at some point, but I know my life will never be the same if I do.

Stacey Yes, if only I had listened to Kemper. A (real life) friend raves about Connie Willis. He did tell me to start with Dog, but after this I'm disinclined to try anything else.

message 11: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie That review is almost a haiku. I may try a few of those.

Stacey Good idea!