jD's Reviews > Embrace Me at Dawn

Embrace Me at Dawn by Shayla Black

Jul 07, 12

bookshelves: 2012, 2012_4-stars
Read from July 01 to 07, 2012

I straight up love this series! This was not my favorite but it was still a solid installment. The heroine worked my nerves raw until I finally came to understand her. She has been on the back burner as one of a large cast of characters. Her name is Anka and she is the former mate of one of the Doomsday Brethren. Her mate is Lucan, a wizard, warrior, and alpha male. They were together for 100 years when she was stolen away by the resident bad guy who should have been dead two books back. None the less, he did unspeakable things to her to shatter her bond with Lucan. Once she escaped, she went to her childhood friend Shock and the two began playing house with benefits.

The thing you need to know is that Shayla Black writes very detailed erotica so of course the wizards and witches charge their magic with sex. The more the better apparently. So Lucan has been in mourning for Anka and nearly insane. Shock has been rubbing his face in the fact that Anka is warming his bed and counts on him for her safety.

The story is about forgiveness and healing. Many of the challenges these three characters face were based on secrets. The secrets are not small or insignificant by any means. The result of these secrets nearly destroys the lovers in a very permanent way more than once before they get it together.

The thing I enjoy most about this series is experiencing the fun Ms. Black has with the characters. Yeah, there is angst but when they start the verbal banter, no charcter is safe from a few well placed insults. I also love the energy of the series in that the pacing is good and I don't mind that I don't know who is good or bad cuz Shock and Bram are questionable. As a matter of fact I can't wait for both of their books to come out.

I can only hope Ms. Black starts writing faster than she has in the past.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Embrace Me at Dawn.

07/06/2012
38.0% "I don't know how I keep lying to myself about whether this is erotica. It's Erotica! The story is good too BTW."

message 1: by Jesslyn (new)

Jesslyn Hmmm...I may try this one.

message 2: by jD (new) - rated it 4 stars

jD You should start with the first one if you decide to give it a whirl. It's super hot!