Craig a.k.a Meatstack's Reviews > Quarter Share

Quarter Share by Nathan Lowell

Jan 20, 12

bookshelves: 2012, audiobook, science-fiction
Read from January 17 to 20, 2012

Way back in the day, there was a game called Wing Commander - Privateer. Perhaps you remember it? It was an open world, and you were free to go pirate, trader, whatever you wanted to do with your ship.

Perhaps this audiobook brings back memories of that game for me. Perhaps that's why I was so enamored by this even though, quite honestly, nothing happens. the Author spends a ton of time setting up the world, and showing character development, but there's no conflict at all.

And the fact that it's totally devoid of conflict left this being a great book instead of an awesome one. Towards the end you start to realize that everyone is best friends with everyone...and I've never seen a dynamic like that.

I don't know. Maybe I've never been lucky enough to be in a position, like possibly a ship in the Navy, where everyone is best friends and there is no petty squabbles or small groups. Maybe I'm jaded like that. But, in my opinion, this lack of interpersonal conflict drew me out of the story a bit. But not enough to ruin the story.

As I'm typing this, i'm debating to myself if I want to do the next chapter, Half Share right away, or if I want to wait. I don't usually do two of the same series back to back...but since I like the world, but feeling that I need a little more...beefalo, I think I will.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Quarter Share.