Nelly's Reviews > The Wise Man's Fear

The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss

Jul 16, 11

bookshelves: best-books-of-all-time
I own a copy

Could not put it down. Beautifully written. I read it at breakneck speed and had to force myself to slow down to make it last. I waited three years for this book and it was worth the wait! I read it in four days. Book 2 is an absorbing and exciting tale with unexpected twists at every turn. I do not read a lot of fantasy novels per se so perhaps I am less jaded than some other reviewers about the familiar ring of certain motifs. But even if certain plots lines are familiar, so what? The narrative never got boring. NEVER! How many 900-plus-page books can you say that about? I actually enjoyed this book even more than the first. I thought, in particular, that the female characters had more substance than in the first book--especially when it came to the women warriors and their place in their society. That part of the narrative was a perfect transition from Kvothe's experiences in the realm of the fae which may make some women roll their eyes a bit. (I didn't by the way. Even that chapter--though slightly predictable-- was lovely.) After finishing the book, I felt sad, as though I was saying good-bye to good friends. Rothfuss is a master at creating believable characters in palpable settings. Looking forward to book 3!
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wise Man's Fear.

Quotes Nelly Liked

Patrick Rothfuss
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear