J's Reviews > The John Wooden Pyramid of Success: The Authorized Biography, Philosophy and Ultimate Guide to Life, Leadership, Friendship and Love of the Greatest Coach in the History of Sports

The John Wooden Pyramid of Success by Neville L. Johnson

Jul 04, 11

bookshelves: pop-psych, diversions, self-improvement, sports, biography
Read in July, 2011

I picked this book up shortly after Coach Wooden died. I agonized over which book to pick up and settled on this one. It turned out to be not such a good idea. While chapter 3 actually is the focus of Coach Wooden's philosophy, it seems to e the only one that really reached me.

I think Neville Johnson fell short in telling Coach Wooden's story. At points - especially in the first couple of chapters, Johnson's hero worship got in the way of his story.

I have used Chapter three as a teaching document for my students and intend to do use it again in the future. However, I can't, in good conscience recommend this book because Johnson seems to be one of the many people who seem to have exploited their relationship with Coach Wooden just to sell a book. Since I don't personally know Johnson, I cannot speak to his motivations. Perhaps he was just too close to offer an objective biography of one of the most loved coaches in American History.

In spite of this book's failings, it is an interesting read. I just wish Johnson hadn't taken the approach to lead his readers around by the nose.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The John Wooden Pyramid of Success.