Ebookwormy's Reviews > The Murder of Roger Ackroyd

The Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie

Jun 09, 2014

bookshelves: mystery
Read in June, 2008

Just finished a re-read of this classic. I remember the first time I read it, the twist at the end knocked my socks off! My second thought was: "Agatha Christie understands evil in a way that is a little frightening!"

This time through, I remembered how it turns out (which is not always the case!), and was able to watch the clues with the murderer in mind. An astonishingly masterful piece of work.

When it was first published, in 1926, this book caused quite a stir, because no one had ever used this twist before. People were shocked! and some were offended! After you have read the book, you can read about it's reception on the Wikipedia page devoted to it, but there are numerous spoilers, so don't check it out until you are 'in the know':

Many consider this novel to be Agatha Christie's best, though I have also heard many votes for "And then there were none" (Originally published as "Ten Little Indians"). My feeling is that Agatha Christie is so good, it won't hurt to read both. My personal preference is for this book, "The Murder of Roger Ackroyd" because I prefer the twist at the end - the surprise is excellent -- over the puzzle to be solved as in Ten Little Indians.

My other Christie recommendation is the unChristie, Christie, Endless Night.
51 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Murder of Roger Ackroyd.

Maram I just re-read it too and i feel the way!

Akash the abc murders and murder on the orient express are good too.

message 3: by Gabby (new) - added it

Gabby Christie knocked my socks off too with the ending of this book. Ever since I read it, I always mention it in my top ten best books list. I look forward to re-reading it soon to do what you mentioned: remembering how it ends and paying special attention to clues along the way.

Matthew Mitchell Thanks for the review--I went straight the library and picked up a copy. Don't know how I've missed this one.

Ebookwormy Matthew, you won't be disappointed! Though the spin has become so common place, you might be on to Christie's magic!

Matthew Mitchell You were right, Ebookwormy! Thoroughly enjoyed it and didn't see it coming (even though I tried).

Ebookwormy Matthew wrote: "You were right, Ebookwormy! Thoroughly enjoyed it and didn't see it coming (even though I tried)."

Glad you enjoyed it! Kinda freaks you out, doesn't it? This lady knew something about evil. Did you read the wikipedia article about it? (Link in my review) it's interesting. Merry Christmas!

Maggie I actually saw it coming! I can't believe I figured out who did it!! I read some of the reviews and figured the murderer would have to be someone you would never except. I've only figured out the murderer one other time with Christie's books - and that was with Death on the Nile. Christie is a genius and I love her books. This one is definitely one of my favorites! I loved the ending and am so happy that I figured who did it (although I didn't figure out everything like how and why it happened so, I still do commend Christie for that). You HAVE to read this book!!! It was so clever and well written. :)

Weffi98 I just read this book, and your review convinced me to read it again ,although I rarely reread books:).I was utterly stunned at the twist at the ending-I actually thought it was Raymond which was so far off haha.Great review!

message 10: by Dana (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dana I remember reading it as a teen and being in total shock at the ending - someone might guess it today because they've seen the twist copied in other works, but I'd definitely put this one above Ten Little Indians.

message 11: by Mish (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mish Honestly I know this is my own fault for reading reviews at all but I guessed the 'twist' from your review. I'd say just mentioning that there is a twist is a spoiler in itself because you are looking for it. Might consider adding a spoiler tag to your review. Thanks for writing reviews in general though! I find them very helpful on here!

Lucía This is definitely one of her masterpieces, but don't forget about "Murder at the orient express", which is excellent too. I have yet to read "And then they were none", which is quite ironic as I have read more than ten books by her and I haven't read one of the classics.