Elijah Kinch Spector's Reviews > The Demon Princes, Vol. 1: The Star King, The Killing Machine, The Palace of Love

The Demon Princes, Vol. 1 by Jack Vance

Oct 04, 12

bookshelves: favorites, sci-fi-fantasy
Read from July 04 to 25, 2011

These books are a fuzzy memory to me now, but a very good fuzzy memory, and I think that really fits the way these stories are written.

Here's a review I wrote of the whole series, at once. I referred to these books as being "like Charles Portis writing science fiction."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Demon Princes, Vol. 1.

07/05/2011 page 19
4.0% "From the heightened language of the dialogue to the achingly beautiful planet described, I'm likin' Vance so far."
07/07/2011 page 32
7.0% "This might be one the most well-worded and succinct descriptions of police corruption and brutality I have ever read. Pity it's in a sci-fi book that most people will not take seriously as a source."
07/08/2011 page 39
9.0% "I do believe that Chapter 3 had more fictitious front-loaded excerpts than actual chapter. I count this as a good thing, in this instance."
07/08/2011 page 42
9.0% "Douglas Adams must hav read these..."
07/09/2011 page 55
12.0% ""I dare not kill you. But I can break more bones, and you will walk sideways like a crab. I can spread apart your eyes, and you will look in two different directions the rest of your life.""
07/10/2011 page 64
14.0% "I do like that the two-fisted space hero focused on revenge is, in fact, a terribly damaged human being with no idea how to relate to people. It's a touch that's ahead of its time."
07/12/2011 page 147
33.0% "Book one, The Star King, was fucking great. It was like some of the best bits of every pulp genre wrapped up into one story that was impeccably, and wittily, written."
07/15/2011 page 220
49.0% "A protective harness that blows off the hands of anyone who tries to touch the wearer: oh mad scientists, I love you all."
07/19/2011 page 256
57.0% "I like how this has suddenly become a sword and sorcery story out of nowhere."
07/20/2011 page 281
63.0% "Whenever I read this on the subway I wonder if people see it and think that I'm a Satanist."
07/20/2011 page 287
64.0% "The Killing Machine was also pretty great, despite one big plothole that had no real explanation..."
07/20/2011 page 302
67.0% "She is as safe as a two-hundred pound statue of a dead dog."
07/22/2011 page 359
80.0% "From the shelf Gersen took down an untidy portfolio, containing ballads, odes, dithyrambs: "A Growl For Gruel"; "The Juices I Have Tramped"; "I Am a Darting Minstrel"; "They Pass!"; "Drusilla's Dream"; "Castles in the Clouds and the Anxieties of Thoe Who Live Directly Below by Reason of Falling Objects and Wastes.""

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jared (new)

Jared Millet Book 4 is far and away the best in the series. Just wait.

Elijah Kinch Spector Oh, I already bought the second omnibus. Gonna give it a breather before I read it, but I am excited.