Mike Pacheco's Reviews > All the Pretty Horses

All the Pretty Horses by Cormac McCarthy

Jul 07, 11

It wasn't until about halfway through this book that I really got into it. I was actually getting a little nervous. The best part was that the second half not only grabbed my attention, it made me appreciate the first half the of the book much more than I had. Like "No Country For Old Men," this is one I'm going to be thinking about for a while. If NCFOM was gripping because of how constant and unstoppable the violence was, then "All the Pretty Horses" stays with you because the violence is so focused and personal.

Love and death and fate are among the heavy themes in this book, but the way they are presented flow very naturally, and it doesn't feel like you are getting hit over the head with the "message." After this, I can't wait to read the rest of the trilogy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read All the Pretty Horses.

Comments (showing 1-5)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 5: by Zach (new) - added it

Zach Herman Have you read "Blood Meridian"?

message 4: by Mike (last edited Jul 07, 2011 07:11PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mike Pacheco Zach wrote: "Have you read "Blood Meridian"?"

No. It was actually a toss-up between those two. "All the Pretty Horses" won. It was really good. Have you started "Blood Meridian" yet?

message 3: by Zach (new) - added it

Zach Herman No. I just got it from the library after waiting like six weeks for a copy, but it had a broken spine, which psyched me out.

message 2: by Zach (new) - added it

Zach Herman Unlike you godless e-bookers, I'm very concerned with the physical product. ;-)

Mike Pacheco haha. you're keeping it real, as in real slow