Meggan's Reviews > The Heroes

3819593
Aug 19, 11

bookshelves: fantasy
Read in August, 2011

4.5/5 - Impressive. Abercrombie is the master of the "sword and swearing" novel, the kind that gets inside the heads of ax-wielding villains (of varying shades) who use the word "fuck" in every possible circumstance (in war, there's a lot). It's also hilariously cynical, as most Abercrombie books go, but this one has more sympathetic characters. For a novel about three days of battle (tactical maps!) it surprised me at how readable it was. I couldn't put it down. After devouring his this book, I'll buy anything he puts out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Heroes.

08/11/2011 page 36
6.0% "Another Abercrombie book where everyone is really, really tired."
08/15/2011 page 140
24.0% "Abercrombie is such an energetic writer. He excels at writing characters caught in the turmoil between outward theatrics and internal skepticism."
show 3 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sean (new)

Sean Endymion Wait, since when was there a #4... or 5?! I'm out of the loop apparently.

Meggan Best Served Cold was #4. IMO they shouldn't number these as part of the First Law books since I've been calling it the "First Law Trilogy" this whole time!

message 3: by Sean (new)

Sean Endymion I gotcha. Looked it up on Wikipedia. I felt kinda let down by the trilogy... there was a lot of build up, and plenty left unsaid. Do the other two make up for that?

Meggan thus far Bayaz and Jezal are characters in books 4 & 5, and Glokta around the periphery, as well as other secondary characters. I hear another trilogy resolving Glokta and Logan's story will happen eventually. It's clear to me Logan isn't dead since every character thinks he is in books 4 & 5.

Oddly the newer books are low on the magic and mysticism that was in the first 3, so the supernatural stuff is still unexplained!