Charlene's Reviews > The Jefferson Key

The Jefferson Key by Steve Berry

F_50x66
Jul 10, 11

Read in July, 2011, read count: 1

I liked the idea for the book and the different storylines with the various characters, but I did have a few issues with the writing.

First, I didn't really care about the main "hero" of the story. Maybe I would have cared more if I had read the author's previous books that also starred the same character. The author just didn't do a good job of explaining why he was so great.

Issue number 2 is that I don't like stories where one character explains the background to another character over several pages with no action. It's like I'm reading a story in a story. I like it even less when the so called "hero" isn't the one doing the explaining. Maybe it's just me, but I like my hero to be the guy who knows everything or at least figures everything out before saving the day. Cotton didn't have to figure anything out (other than doing one Google search). That said, I liked Cassiopeia a little more. I'm not sure why, maybe because she got a little more time in the spotlight and we had to see her struggle with a couple decisions and figure out the best way to move forward.

The last thing is only a minor annoyance, but it did distract from the enjoyment of the book. The author jumped around among the various characters very frequently. I understand that everything is happening at the same time, but do you really need to interrupt the action in one scene for a five sentence update on another? It was frustrating trying to stay in the story with all the jumping around.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Jefferson Key.