Whitney La Rocca's Reviews > The Meaning of Matthew: My Son's Murder in Laramie, and a World Transformed

The Meaning of Matthew by Judy Shepard

Jul 04, 11

Read in December, 2010

I am so glad Judy wrote this book! I have known Matt my entire life, basically growing up with him from the age of 1-15. I considered myself such a close friend of his, but lost touch when he moved away in high school. I never even knew he had come back to Wyoming until I saw the news on that awful day in October, 1998. 12 years later, I am still having difficulty with accepting what happened to him, recovering from the shock and horror and anger, but more so feeling guilty for not staying in touch with him and his family. This book helped me heal in some way......the stories of when we were young, Judy told just as I remember them. I always knew Matt would turn out to be someone that would make a difference in this world. Judy has made sure that he continues to do just that. Thank you, Matt, for being the angel that still visits me in my dreams, and thank you, Judy, for helping me cope and remember the amazing person I grew up with who left this world way too soon, but still leaves an impact. I will always admire him as I did when we were young. I highly recommend this book to anyone who wants to get to know a young man who, even though he was shorter than me, I have always looked up to. This book will make you laugh, make you cry, but most importantly make you feel something deep in your heart.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Meaning of Matthew.