Kay's Reviews > Summer Sisters

Summer Sisters by Judy Blume

Jul 04, 11

Read on January 01, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 2

** spoiler alert ** Judy Blume again astounded me with a more mature, adult novel.

This time, it is set mainly around one complex and interesting character named Victoria Leonard (Vix) and Caitlin Somers, her best friend and the reason for her later problems in life. It focuses heavily on the adolescent period where the two spent most of their time together, and unfolds to introduce compelling, fabulous and mesmerizing characters which you wouldn't expect.

The story starts with a phone call from Caitlin to Victoria, stating that she would be marrying Vix's first love, Bru. Vix becomes sick with the news, and flashes back to time spent with Caitlin growing up through summers spent at Caitlin's fathers house. It is very in depth, including heavy sexual imagery (specifically lesbianism), and tackles hard subjects like divorce, infidelity, same sex exploration and various other topics which Blume has covered in the way only she can.

From the sixth grade to Harvard, and onward in to adult life, Blume covers Vix and Caitlin beautifully. You can relate to each and every person she introduces to the story, and by the end, I know I was wishing the novel wasn't over.

Incredibly well written.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Summer Sisters.