Cindy's Reviews > The Red Tent

The Red Tent by Anita Diamant

Nov 03, 08

Read in January, 2003

** spoiler alert ** This story was interesting BUT it talks of Jacob or Israel and how he became married to Leah and Rachel and his relationships with their servents and had children with all of them. It is in the perspective of Dina the only daughter mentioned in the Bible. It is written by a jewish woman (I believe is what the author write up said on the cover) but is not told from a jewish perspective. It insinuates a ton of sexual behavior and heathenistic rituals as well as implying that Joseph is homosexual. It bothered me for years after reading this book all the inferences surrounding Joseph and Dina. I have since come to a conculusion that the only reason this author could come up with for Joseph refusing to sleep with Potifer's wife is that he was gay and not chaste. Why??? What purpose does that serve? I think it is insulting to our intellegence and moral beliefs to assume that only someone who is gay would deny sexual encounters with the opposite sex. I think it was very lame. It bothers me to think of our Israelite fathers as immoral as they were implied to be and Dina as being as foolish as to let her Egyptian mother in-law become the decision making parent for her son. I didn't like it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Red Tent.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Erin Hoskins This book doesn't insinuate that Joseph was gay AT ALL!

message 2: by Pat (new) - rated it 5 stars

Pat Gattis I agree, I didn't get that he was gay at all.

Lisa Williams The Israelite fathers *were* immoral. Have you even read the Old Testament?

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I don't know how refusing to sleep with a woman implies homosexuality. I've read the book twice and never got that. It was well written and very true to biblical accounts. One of my favorite books of all time

Camille It is difficult to take your review seriously mainly because it is only written on your view of someone changing biblical content. This is a work of fiction based on the bible. FICTION!

Helena It didn't insinuate that he way gay at all. Re-Mose was merely describing how attractive Joseph was considered to be and in doing so, said that even straight men found him pretty.