The Media Bunny's Reviews > Beating Heart: A Ghost Story

Beating Heart by A.M. Jenkins

Jul 23, 11

bookshelves: young-adult-library, books-read-in-2011, books-high-shelf
Read from July 04 to 23, 2011

I'm all about stories involving ghost haunts, flashbacks, and past and present colliding, but this book did not have the depth and strength I was expecting beyond the opening chapter. The cover is beautiful and the premise is good: new folks move into haunted house, teenage boys has intense (in emotional & physical terms) dreams about an unknown girl, and the house embodies the spirit of a dead young girl ("What happened?" is the driving question here). But the follow-through did not allow for attachment to characters and their trials for me. And as a head up, it does contain a bit more graphic perspectives from the mind a teenage boy about the ladies and sex. I'm not a prude, but some parts were eyebrow a-raising, but nothing OTT.

If I had to pinpoint what I found lacking, I felt a disconnect between form and content. The book's most attractive feature is its form with fluctuating POVs between the teenage boy and the voice of the haunted house. While I loved each voice (particularly the simple, disjointed perspective of the house), the form took precedence over flushing out the plot, the characters' personalities, and the overall mystery initially sparking my interest.

It's a quick read, but a bit unfulfilling.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beating Heart.

07/04/2011 page 125
49.0% "Got the book on a whim based on the front cover and description. It is strange...not sure what to think of it yet. Present tense is a nice change of pace!"