Valerie's Reviews > One Hundred Candles

bookshelves: 2011-read
Read from July 17 to 19, 2011

One Hundred Candles by Mara Purnhagen

My summary:

Charlotte Silver is a senior in high school and it seems that Harris Abbott, the cute football player, is interested in her. Her family has settled in a place longer than they’ve been anywhere in her lifetime. She has friends at school that know about her parent’s strange paranormal investigation business but still like her. What could be better? Oh well maybe if her parents would stop fighting all the time. Or maybe if the school wasn’t haunted. Or maybe if whatever was going on with Marcus could be figured out. Or if Charlotte could figure out why she still had feeling for Noah when he seems to only want to be friends. Those things would make Charlotte’s life a whole lot better.

My thoughts:

4 stars – a great read

I really like the premise of this series. It’s different. Most paranormal books are about believers but this one is about a family that tries to disprove paranormal activity with science. But while so much of it can be explained away that way, some of it just can’t. It really adds a level of believability to this book. It’s got that “it could happen” factor.

I think Charlotte has done some growing. She still tends to put off dealing with things, which ended up biting her when it came to Harris. I could see that coming a mile away and was yelling at her a few times. But I think that after this book, she won’t make the mistake of not trusting her parents again.

I love how much more time we got to spend with Noah. I really like his character. He is strong and protective of Charlotte but he respects her too. I love his green eyes.

I’m looking forward to finding out what happens next in book three, Beyond the Grave. One Hundred Candles left us with a little bit of a cliffhanger and I really want to know how that concludes. I’m also sure that we haven’t seen the last of the difficult paranormal energies that have been hanging around the Silver family.

Any fan of paranormal YA should for sure pick this book up. It even has a little bit of romance in it this time too.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Hundred Candles.