Stephanie Brown's Reviews > Stargirl

Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli

Mar 20, 08

Read in March, 2008

It started with a necktie. It ended with a necktie. But not just any kind of necktie and not just any kind of girl would give someone a gift with pictures of porcupines.

I really loved this book. REALLY! I did. I HEART Stargirl. Seriously. I’d been meaning to read it for years and like the last book I devoured, after reading the first 2 pages, I couldn’t put it down; so the other books I’d started before this one got pushed aside so I could get lost in her world. This book had me completely mesmerized.

My favorite line: “We discovered the color of each other’s eyes.” (Chapter 9)

Actually, there were lots of lines I loved in that book but that line in that moment when people are starting to take notice and embrace their individuality stands out the most for me.

Of course, my heart broke for Leo. Thirty years later, he still thinks of Stargirl (the girl with many names, by the way); he still wakes up to her laughter (“…a second sunrise to his day.”) I know a lot of people would say this book was too preachy, this book was too unbelievable, this book was too sappy, etc. but I LOVED it so much that I’m thinking of skipping the sequel. I nearly ordered it online last night but part of me wonders if I want to abandon this feeling I have of knowing and loving Stargirl exactly the way she is. Does there really need to be a sequel? Do I need to know more than I already do about these characters? I don’t.

And so, I am moving on with a full heart. Thank you, Stargirl!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stargirl.

Comments (showing 1-5)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

Stephanie Brown Really?! Oh now you're making me want to read the next book. Okay--you've got me convinced. I'll read it and let you know what I think. THanks for the recommendation! :)

Vanessa Mascarenas I totally agree with you about the reading the sequel! Is there really more of a story to tell? Like you said, at the end of Stargirl, thirty years had already past. Is the book going to be about Stargirl thirty years after she leaves Mica Area High School? How could Jerry Spinelly make another book when the ending of the first book was as wonderful as he made it?

Stephanie Brown Yes! That's how I felt, too! The ending of the novel was beautiful in part because thirty years later, Leo can still hear her laugh, see her face, think of her when he wakes up in the morning. I went ahead and bought the sequel since it was a good deal as a paperback but it's low on my to-read list right now.

Alli Love your review! Totes agree ;)

Alli Oh, and that was one of my fave lines, too!!