Stephanie Brown's Reviews > Story of a Girl

Story of a Girl by Sara Zarr

Mar 20, 08

Read in March, 2008

I've always been a slow reader, especially when it comes to a book I love but for some reason, I was able to finish Sara Zarr's Story of a Girl in one night. I started around 7 p.m. Sunday night and finished before 11 p.m.

Officially, I HEART Sara Zarr. I knew Deanna and I were going to get along from the very beginning when she confides that she harbors feelings for her closest friend's boyfriend. That honesty was such a breath of fresh air; even though it's wrong (and Deanna knows it's wrong because she selfishly admits that she knew him first--that's obviously no excuse) you still don't hate her because she's honest and conflicted and wounded.

If you're interested in reading good YA, I recommend this book. Deanna makes some terrible choices along the way (one will really boil your blood) but in the end, she's come to a place where she can shed the past and hope, just simply hope. The ending will leave you hoping that Deanna, her family, and her friendships are on the right track to healing and forgiveness.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Story of a Girl.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kierstin (new) - added it

Kierstin Narewski I really like this book. When i first began to read it, i thought i was going to hate it. But as i got further into the book i began to really like it. It is so good that i actually got my boyfriend to start reading it, and he likes it to. I believe that it is more of a girls book, but if he likes it (he's emo) then any guy would like it. I think that Deanna should not get in trouble for having sex, shes growing up and exploring her feelings. Yeah she was 13, and had sex. Im also 13 and have already had sex 4 times. Parents just need to learn to trust their children.

Stephanie Brown Did you read Sara Zarr's next one, Sweethearts? I liked it just as much as Story of a Girl. :)