Maggie Stiefvater's Reviews > Flyaway

Flyaway by Lucy Christopher

Jul 04, 11

bookshelves: middle-grade, recommended
Read in June, 2011

This one is by the same author who wrote STOLEN (which you’ll recall that I adored). FLYAWAY is actually her first novel, published second in the states, and it’s a middle grade novel. Basically, it’s about a girl who becomes determined to reunite a lost swan with its flock after the girl’s father has a heart attack. Anyway, here are five reasons to read it:

1. It’s soft and sweet. The image of a feather comes to mind, even though this book is about a girl coping with the idea that her father and her new friend might die.

2. The imagery is, as always in Christopher’s books, beautiful. The setting is always another character.

3. There is something about Christopher’s prose across both her novels that makes me trust her as an author. She’s in control of these stories, and if you’re feeling something, it’s because she meant you to. It means that she pretty much has a free pass with me at the moment. I will pick up anything she writes.

4. It’s got this slightest little hint of magical realism. I would’ve really loved this book as a ten year old.

5. It is precisely what it promises you. Sometimes I want to be shocked, yes, and sometimes I want twists, and sometimes I want to read about a very unexpected body in a closet. But this book promises that it is a certain sort of book on the first page, and then it gives you exactly that. Soft and sweet.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Flyaway.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Eleanor (new)

Eleanor I loved Stolen, i must get myself a copy of this one to read as if it is as good as stolen its a must read.

message 2: by Hanfin (new)

Hanfin sounds like an amazing book i will read it as soon as i can.

StorySnoops I agree completely Maggie! After reading Flyaway and Stolen, I am so impressed with Christopher's prose. Lovely.