Kait's Reviews > Dragon Wing

bookshelves: for-fun, fantasy
Recommended to Kait by: Aunt Suzie
Recommended for: Tolkien-esque fantasy lovers
Read from July 04 to 29, 2011

I received this book from my aunt who was dumping possessions in preparation for moving in with her fiance along with the rest of the series (except for the last one, shame on you, Aunt Suzie). As a lover of fantasy books, I thought I'd give it a shot. At 417 pages with several appendices past that number, Dragon Wing from authors Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman constantly reminded me of J.R.R. Tolkien's "The Lord of the Rings" series. Its world-building was immense and I could tell that the authors had really thought out this entire universe, but so much so that it became daunting at times. I began to run into trouble as soon as the footnotes appeared, which, by the way, was page seven. The information in these footnotes was interesting, but wholly unneeded as the essentials of the information (while being very specific) could be gleaned from the writing. They distracted me and just made me angry as well as a little fed up with the authors. If you can't convey it in the story properly, find a different way to introduce it. Don't distract the reader from your story with footnotes unless you're a scientific paper. The plot was complex and plenty of foresight and planning has gone into the making of this series, but even while things were going on, I didn't feel like anything was happening. I felt like events were taking too long. However, it was mostly well written and the characters were well rounded for the most part. My rating says "I liked it" and I did, but not enough to jump into the next book right now. I think I'll read something else and see if I feel like coming back to them or not.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dragon Wing.